Are you aware of other existing South Australian energy concessions?

Household energy concessions

Eligible South Australians on low or fixed incomes can apply for household concessions to help with the cost of energy bills for their principal place of residence.

To apply you’ll need:

  • your Centrelink customer reference number (CRN) or DVA file number
  • information from your most recent electricity bill including retailer name, account number, National Meter Identifier number, billing dates

You can apply online , by downloading and completing the application form , or contact ConcessionsSA on 1800 307 758 and request an application form to be posted out to you.

If you live in a residential park, you could be eligible for a combined concession for your energy, water and sewage – Residential Park Concessions

SA Concessions Energy Discount Offer (SACEDO)

SACEDO gives you extra discounts if your retailer is Origin Energy and you already receive the standard energy concession.

Visit the Origin Energy website for more information on SACEDO.

You can compare your current energy bill with SACEDO scheme on the Energy Made Easy website.

Existing Origin clients phone Origin on 1300 791 465 to apply. 

Medical Heating and cooling concession

To meet the criteria people, need to have a qualifying medical condition, that requires heating and cooling to prevent a severe worsening of their condition.

The applicant’s medical practitioner or specialist will need to complete part of the application to confirm diagnosis of the person’s medical condition.

For further information on eligibility and how to apply visit the website or phone 1300 735 350.

Home dialysis electricity concession

Any person undergoing dialysis treatment at home is eligible for the home dialysis electricity concession provided that the concession has been approved by a SA Health practitioner, apply through your renal unit.

Essential Medical Equipment Payment

A yearly payment to help with energy costs to run essential medical equipment or heating or cooling used for medical needs for those that meet eligibility criteria.

For more information on eligibility and how to apply visit the Services Australia website.

Cost of Living concession

The cost-of-living concession has replaced the council rate concession to help people on low or fixed incomes with their general living expenses eg council rates, energy, and medical bills.

If you previously received a Cost-of-Living Concession payment and your living and income have not changed, you don’t need to re-apply.

For more information on eligibility and how to apply visit the SA Gov website or phone ConcessionsSA on 1800 307 758

Free Energy Advice

The Energy Advisory service provides free, independent information on energy topics, including:

  • help saving energy at home
  • understanding your energy bills and meters
  • how to calculate appliance running costs
  • links to services that can help with paying bills
  • energy efficient home design, such as solar power.

Phone 8207 1888 or 1800 671 907 or email

For more information the Department of Energy and environment has developed a Guide to electricity, gas and SA water services.



More Articles

Dealing with disputes in a Retirement Village

When is the right time to downsize and start planning ahead for your retirement? The answer is now, having all the information on what options are available is key to making the right decisions and to avoid issues in the future

Hearing Aids and reducing the risk of Dementia

You may be asking, what has hearing aids got to do with dementia, new research in the United Kingdom has found untreated hearing loss, may increase the risk of dementia in middle aged and older adults.