More about needing help getting out and about?

In this article we will be completing our discussion regarding the supports that are available to assist you getting out and about in the community. We will be looking at the disability parking permits and the assistance available under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme.

Disability Parking Permit

The disability parking permits allow a vehicle displaying the permit and carrying the permit holder, to be parked in spaces where the international symbol of access is displayed.

To be eligible for the permit you must meet the following conditions,

  • have a permanent physical impairment or a temporary impairment that is likely to continue for more than six months
  • the impairment severely restricts speed of movement
  • the impairment significantly inhibits ability to access public transport.

To complete the application for a disability parking permit, for individuals, this can be accessed on website.

Commonwealth Home Support Programme

If you need support with a few tasks around the home, you could be eligible for subsidised support through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP).

One of the supports you can access through CHSP is Transport, to help you get out and about and stay connected with your community.

Allowing you to access:

  • community activities
  • shopping
  • medical appointments
  • social activities.

If you require a little more support, such as someone to attend the activity with you, then Social Support Individual could help you.

To apply for Commonwealth Home Support you will need to contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or go to the My Aged Care website. You will then be assessed for eligibility for these supports.

If you require any further information on:

  • The Disability Parking Permit
  • Commonwealth Home Support
    • Transport
    • Social Support Individual

or assistance in making an application please give us a call on 8408 4600. AgedCare Alternatives is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.



More Articles

What are Care Finders?

Some older people need extra, intensive support to access aged care services and other supports in the community.

Part 1 – Are you worried about falling?

As we age falling becomes more of a concern. Falls can result in serious injuries and impact our self-confidence. In parts 1, 2 and 3 we will be talking about how we can limit our risk of falling.

Housework Advice

There are things you can consider when facing challenges that may benefit you in a positive way and support you to make these tasks simpler and easier.

What is My Aged Care?

My Aged Care is the Australian Government’s aged care system for older Australians. The My Aged Care website and Contact Centre (1800 200 422) provide information on ageing and aged care and how to access the Australian Governments funded aged care services.