Personal Alarms

A personal alarm is a device that enables you to call for help in an emergency if you are unable to access or use a telephone.

A Personal Alarm is wearable technology that can be worn on the wrist or around the neck.

There are two ways that the purchase of a Personal Alarm may can be supported through Government programs:

  • Personal AlertSA – You can apply for help to pay for an approved device and for monitoring services through this state government scheme.
  • My Aged Care – Client who are receiving support through the Commonwealth Home Support or Home Care Package Programs may be eligible for the provision of a personal alert system.

Personal AlertSA

You can apply for help to pay for an approved devices and for monitoring services.

To be eligible you must:

  • be age 75 years or older (65 years or older if you are Aboriginal / Torres Strait Islander).
  • have a Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Pensions concessions card.
  • be a permanent resident of South Australia.
  • have sought an assessment from My Aged Care and obtained an Aged Care Client Number (ACID).
  • be approved for a Commonwealth Home Support Program service through a Regional Service Assessment Assessor.
  • meet the additional clinical, functional and social criteria requirements.

Who is not eligible:

  • People who have not sought an assessment for aged care services from My Aged Care
  • People who have been assigned a Level 1, 2, 3 or 4 Home Care Package
  • People who have rejected a Home Care Package or Commonwealth Home Support Programme.
  • People currently participating in the Transition Care Programme (TCP)
  • Veterans or Veterans widows / widowers who are eligible for the DVA Rehabilitation Appliances program.
    DVA Gold Card Holders.
  • People who live independently on a retirement village where a personal alert system, or similar service, is included in the residence contract.
  • People who live in supported accommodation, such as supported residential facility or residential aged care facility.
  • If you wish to have more information on Personal Alert Systems, please contact AgedCare Alternatives on 8408 4600 or follow the links in our website.



More Articles

Dealing with disputes in a Retirement Village

When is the right time to downsize and start planning ahead for your retirement? The answer is now, having all the information on what options are available is key to making the right decisions and to avoid issues in the future

Hearing Aids and reducing the risk of Dementia

You may be asking, what has hearing aids got to do with dementia, new research in the United Kingdom has found untreated hearing loss, may increase the risk of dementia in middle aged and older adults.