A personal alarm is a device that enables you to call for help in an emergency if you are unable to access or use a telephone.
A Personal Alarm is wearable technology that can be worn on the wrist or around the neck.
There are two ways that the purchase of a Personal Alarm may can be supported through Government programs:
- Personal AlertSA – You can apply for help to pay for an approved device and for monitoring services through this state government scheme.
- My Aged Care – Client who are receiving support through the Commonwealth Home Support or Home Care Package Programs may be eligible for the provision of a personal alert system.
You can apply for help to pay for an approved devices and for monitoring services.
To be eligible you must:
- be age 75 years or older (65 years or older if you are Aboriginal / Torres Strait Islander).
- have a Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Pensions concessions card.
- be a permanent resident of South Australia.
- have sought an assessment from My Aged Care and obtained an Aged Care Client Number (ACID).
- be approved for a Commonwealth Home Support Program service through a Regional Service Assessment Assessor.
- meet the additional clinical, functional and social criteria requirements.
Who is not eligible:
- People who have not sought an assessment for aged care services from My Aged Care
- People who have been assigned a Level 1, 2, 3 or 4 Home Care Package
- People who have rejected a Home Care Package or Commonwealth Home Support Programme.
- People currently participating in the Transition Care Programme (TCP)
- Veterans or Veterans widows / widowers who are eligible for the DVA Rehabilitation Appliances program.
DVA Gold Card Holders.
- People who live independently on a retirement village where a personal alert system, or similar service, is included in the residence contract.
- People who live in supported accommodation, such as supported residential facility or residential aged care facility.
- If you wish to have more information on Personal Alert Systems, please contact AgedCare Alternatives on 8408 4600 or follow the links in our website.